Monday, June 26, 2006

Native Expats or a UAEian

Native expatriate - souls born & raised in the UAE - second/third generation UAE expats who perhaps are at a rather unsettling position. Wanting to call a place home they've lived their entire lives - however cannot - primarily given the naturalization & immigration laws (or lack there of) in the UAE - hence may have to rather move on for stability - often out of choice and/or stay on and hope the future brings 'em some much needed stability.

Given the current development & growth and bearing in mind the future of this nation - I truly feel it perhaps is high time the UAE government pay attention or give some sort of recognition to Native expat souls - who've been born, raised and have lived in the UAE all their lives. Individuals who have fantastic global experiences and education from reputable international schools be given some sort of a stable preference/recognition.

I am not calling for immediate citizenship and rights equal to Emaratis - however some sort of stability to work and live in the nation of their birth - something that offers them more stability - if not immediate rights as citizen.

I request Emarati souls to put themselves in shoes of "expat" souls similar to myself - who are 2nd/3rd generation expats residents of the UAE - going back 30 – 40+ years. We may hold international citizenships - may have fantastic careers elsewhere - and perhaps not be choice. However, how do you tell someone and their parents who have spent their entire lives in a land - thank you for your wonderful help, it is time to please move on and by the way you have got xx amount of time to do so?

The UAE government has a plan to grow this country - they need permanent human resources who are familiar with the land, the ways of working - and respect the place, second to none. I know there exists second & third generation expat souls who, as much as Emaratis are willing to participate in order to put the UAE above all (and some above their own self development) - so that this nation and it's future generations both Emaratis and "Native expats" alike can have a solid nation supported by a buoyant and growing economy with peaceful coexistence.

17 comments:

3li said...

Very good point indeed.

rosh said...

I am even more confused, that real estate props are cropping all over the place - they are looking to sell these properties, however I am completely baffled what is in their minds? i.e. do they expect people to purchase properties and sell them or abandon them when out of a job after 3 years or even after 30 years.

I read this article on GN today
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Employment/10051584.html

I cannot understand Mr Kaabi - how does he or his government classify second/third generation expats and folks who've lived in the UAE for 30 to 40 years as "temporary".

I am curious to know the UN's response to all this.

I am also curious to know, why is Mr Kaabi and company so damn wary and afraid of accepting souls who've lived their entire lives in the UAE?

flamin said...

very well-put. u coined it well: 'native expats'.

Tainted Female said...

Amen to that.

Tainted Female said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tainted Female said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nativeinformant said...

ooh. I just popped over to your blog after responding on the Bollywood thread at the UAE community. Your term "native expats" is *exactly* what I am trying to look at in my dissertation work - the fact that people do belong, even if they aren't recognized formally by gov't through citizenship and other forms. Anyway, would love to discuss with you further. And invite you to visit my blog on research and living experiences in Dubai:
http://nativeinformant.livejournal.com/

archer14 said...

Very well written, blogrosh. I think the authorities know why they wouldn't think twice of granting citizenship to expats. Imagine a country whose expats outnumber the locals by a landslide, and the tie reversing when citizenship is granted. Sheikdom would cease to exist.

LocalExpat said...

Hey seems like we are talking about identical issues on our blogs :-)

nice job..

rosh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rosh said...

Many thanks for your comments A Blessing in Tragedy.

It is comforting to know, there are Emirati's out there who think along the lines as you.

I realize ways of working in the UAE may not change for a while, and it shall take time. Time always brings about change. Perhaps these changes may not come in my lifetime - and I should learn to reconcile or make peace with it, no matter how hard the process is or how fantastic my shrink's skillset.

I have seen a large majority of friends I've grown up with and their parents - "move on" after 25 - 30 plus years because of the laws (or lack of laws) in the UAE. I am not saying it's a fault, in it's ways of working. At the same time, I have seen several expats, use the UAE as a steppng stone to better pastures. The CFO at the firm I worked for whilst in Dubai, tells me, he has had 70% employee turnover the past year. Do you know what that can do to a firm and the economy?


Hence, I am just, confused, as to why the above processes is "encouraged" directly and/or indirectly by the UAE?

Sincerely, I do not feel any place as "home" besides Sharjah. I am at peace, at ease and there is a strong sense of belonging when I am at my parents home (a home, I've lived for 27 years). 90% of my life's memoirs is in that house and in the UAE.
The process to have to give it all up and move to another land, and start fresh, in making a new home - is something no individual should have to do, without being given a choice. Because quite often, human nature/sentiments, does not allow one to forget the growing up years and memoirs, that made them what they are.

Anyhow, I could go on. I just want to say, thank you for your comments. I hope someday there is a change for a positive tomorrow in the UAE, and even if does not happen, I shall always love the UAE - in my heart, it's my home.

DoTs... said...

rosh.. blogrosh.. its youuuu!! i knew i saw you somewhere.. i meant your nick !

okay gotcha.. !

why aren't you blogging btw !!

:)

BuJ said...

Most interesting!

Maybe native expats and local expat is the same thing :) by the same person :D

Unknown said...

hey bro, you ought to post more often!

BuJ said...

gotcha!
seems i gotcha before too!

is this you, same rosh on aethoughts?

why not post more often mr new york new york!

Unknown said...

I totally agree with this blog. Now check this out, I was born and raised in Dubai, U.A.E , spent all my life there. In 2004 i came here in Houston,Texas on a Student visa.

By the end of 2005 i was really missin my family in Dubai.So i went back to "homeland" Dubai. But i had enter the U.A.E on a Visit Visa. (U.A.E law states that if a person resides outside U.A.E for over 6 months, then his/her residence gets expired).


What an irony! I had to enter my birth country , a country which i have lived all my life, on a VISIT VISA?!!!

This is ridiculous!

If not citizenship, then atleast they should grant Permanent Residence... Heck what do they expect? In order to keep my Residence Visa Status i keep comin back to U.A.E every 6 months , all the way from U.S?!!!! Nonsense!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mansoor. I've lived in Dubai for over 18 yrs, and came to US for school and gradschool, and have to apply for a visit visa to go back! :(
I know the roads of Dubai much better than Bombay or Bangalore! :D
We should have a permanent residence if not a citizenship, as I understand they want to maintain the Arab majority